In this Internet era, the demand of Digital Marketing is increasing a lot. Through digital marketing, one can expand their business. This is an era of advanced technology – one’s business can increase by introducing digital marketing in their business to reach more and more people. In this article, we providing an introduction to Digital Marketing and various components of Digital Marketing.
Introduction to Digital Marketing
Digital Marketing can be defined as an interactive marketing of product and services through online media. In other words, Digital Marketing refers to a term in which a person promote their business through online marketing to targeted people, convert them into their clients and retain them.
What is the difference between Traditional Marketing and Digital Marketing?
So, before learning digital marketing concept in brief we should know how Digital Marketing is different from Traditional Marketing.
- Traditional Marketing is a conventional form of marketing.
- It is unidirectional in nature which means business communicates about their product and services to set of people.
- Traditional Marketing is Costly as businesses market their product/service to people of all demographics through different types of media.
- It is also called “Push marketing” as the marketing efforts are forced onto people – no matter what demographics they are from.
- In Traditional Marketing, more effort is required to convince people because businesses are not aware of the interest of people – This is why a lot of effort and money is wasted.
For example, TV Advertisement, Newspaper Ads, advertisement in Magazines, Radio advertising, etc.
- Digital Marketing is an advanced form of marketing.
- It is bi-directional in nature which means business communicates about their product and services to set of people and also listen to their queries and respond them as soon as possible.
- It is cost-effective as compared to traditional marketing because it targets the specific set of people based on their interest and demographics.
- In this type of marketing, the effort required is less as it targets people based on their interest.
- Digital Marketing is broadly a “Pull marketing” technique as it is based on the interest of people. It has some push marketing techniques like YouTube Ads which we cannot skip, but these are also based on out demographics (Age/gender, etc.) So, it is not that frustrating at times.
For example, Social Media, Youtube Ads, Facebook Ads, SEO, email promotions and Google Ads.
Components of Digital Marketing
Now, let’s discuss key components of Digital Marketing.
There are many components of Digital Marketing but we are discussing a broader perspective with seven key components:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
- Social Media Optimization (SMO)
- Social Media Marketing (SMM)
- Email Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing
- Online Reputation Management
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
SEO refers to the term where we can optimize our website in such a manner so that our website is shown on the top most results of the Search engine like Google. In other words, SEO refers to the effort to make the website search engine friendly or the better term is to make the website search query friendly. Simply, optimize your website with keywords related to your business and with most searches.
SEO is unpaid means of marketing. SEO basically ensures the quality of your website as per Search engine bots so that bots fetch data from the website and index it into their database.
You might be thinking “What is bot?” – it is just a program used by search engines to check the websites and index them into databases.
How does Search Engine work?
Search engines (example, Google) use programs called bots and this is how they work:
Crawling ——> Indexing ——> Processing ——> Calculating Relevancy and retrieval
- Crawling: Search engines bots crawl the website, web pages throughout the world in search of content.
- Indexing: After bots crawl the data, it indexes the data in the database.
- Search Query and Processing: After indexing is done, when anyone searches for the query in the search box then it processes for the query in the search engine database.
- Calculating Relevancy and retrieval: Based on the query, search engines calculate relevancy to show the results on SERP (Search engine result pages). It shows best match results based on the search query.
Various Search Engine programs used all over the world and their respective search engines:
- Google: Googlebot
- Yahoo: Slurp
- Bing: Bingbot
- Baidu: Baiduspider
- Yandex: Yandexbot
The different forms of SEO:
- White Hat SEO: It is an organic form of SEO in which proper strategies and techniques are used to optimize websites. In this, the ranking of website results increase slowly but it stays for the longer period of time. It follows search engine policies and their rules for optimizing.
- Black Hat SEO: It is an inorganic form of SEO which uses an aggressive form of optimizing strategies. In this, the ranking of a website is drastically increased for short period of time but will not stay for long. It doesn’t follow search engine policies and their rules for optimizing. This type of SEO should be avoided if you want good presence over the search engine.
- Grey Hat SEO: It is a combination of White Hat SEO and Black Hat SEO.
Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
Many businesses are moving towards the online platform and the competition is also increased these days. SEM is another the best way to promote the products and services on the online platform. SEM is a way of promoting products or services through paid advertisements on the online platforms.
Various Advertising Tools:
- Google Adwords
- Bing Ads
- Yahoo Ads
Before creating paid advertisement for Google or other search engines, the advertiser has to do some keyword research by using various tools like Google Adwords’ Keyword Planner or WordStream’s Free Keyword Tool. A keyword is an important part in the success of SEM. By using the appropriate keyword in the paid ads attracts many customers when they search for the query in the search box. When anyone searches for a query then the paid ads are displayed in SERP and other search engine partners.
Once the keywords are decided then we can create Ads and run them.
Social Media Optimization (SMO)
SMO refers to the term where we can increase our presence through Social media websites. In this, we can attract more and more customers to create awareness of the products and services. Nowadays many people are active on social media – so, businesses are targeting their customers and promoting their products and services directly. This way it becomes easier and trackable for the marketers to track customer response as there are many analytical tools available in the market to track and save the interest and response of customers. The simplest way to do Social Media Optimization is by creating pages/groups, sharing relevant and interesting posts, organizing online events and polls, participating in various groups, etc.
Various Social Media Channels are:
Social Media Marketing (SMM)
SMM refers to the term where we can promote our product and services through social media advertisements. This is paid a paid method. This helps to drive more and more traffic towards your pages, website.
How is it different from SEM?
Many people mix the concept of SEM and SMM. They might seem similar but these two are very different.
SEM is running ads on the search engine and their partners whereas SMM is running ads on Social media platforms.
Simply, you can say – SEM is running the ad for Google SERP and SMM is running the ad on Facebook.
You can run text or display ads on Facebook, video ads on YouTube, etc.
Email marketing is a powerful component of Digital marketing. Email marketing is simply marketing of the products and services directly to the potential customers via email. We have email marketing tools to send bulk emails, track activity of the recipients – whether they have opened the email or not, clicked on some links, where they landed up, etc.
Sending customized offers via emails directly to your customers is very powerful. It requires very less effort and generates great results.
Because it is a direct way of touching base with your customers, it can make or ruin your business. So, emails should be designed in such a way so that the potential customers are influenced and purchase the product or service. Emails should be as per the interest of the customers.
This component of digital marketing is very important especially for new players. Let me explain affiliate marketing in an easier way.
Suppose, business ABC is new business and business XYZ is a website with many visitors per day.
Business ABC wants to market their business but because they are new they don’t have a much online presence. So, they go to business XYZ to advertise on their website so that the visitors of business XYZ can be reached by business ABC.
How is it beneficial for both?
Business ABC gets the reach to more audience and gets customers, In return, business XYZ gets money for every customer they get to business ABC. Sometimes the cut is after getting visitors to business ABC and it can be for getting clients to them. It depends upon the goal of business ABC.
Online Reputation Management
Online Reputation Management refers to getting more positive reviews about product or services. Nowadays, the customer buys the product by seeing online reviews about the product. So, it is very very important to maintain good online reputation. Online reputation can be built by interacting with the customers and getting their online feedback and reviews. Also, displaying reviews/ratings/feedback of the customers is very important to maintain a good online reputation. It is very important to keep the customers happy to get positive feedback to brag about 🙂
LIWTT offers digital marketing course which provides advanced knowledge and techniques to excel in digital marketing.
If you ar interested in knowing more about the courses provided by LIWTT then you can book a free demo session on the below link: